YOURS is about making an OpenSource routeplanner using OpenSource software and data as much as possible.
The OpenStreetMap geographic data is the most important part in this project.
While being nowhere near complete enough to be able to say that it covers the whole world, it contains some pretty complete data for countries like: the Netherlands, United Kingdon, United States and Germany.
Some other countries are not far behind.
So the time is there to actually put the OpenStreetMap data to use.
This website is a showcase for the YOURS project.
The source code for the YOURS project and this website is available under the BSD license. See the wiki link below for more information.
Use YOURS as the routing engine in your application
The routing API is OpenSource and open to 3rd party applications. This means that you can either implement a copy of the routing API or use this website as the routing backend for your application. See the wiki link below for more information.
Please visit the YOURS wiki page
for more information.
Things to do (Wishlist in random order)
Interface with Gosmore to find routes using KML.
Use the Namefinder service to find the 'To' and 'From' coordinates.
Add controls for travel methods (motorcar, cycle, foot) available in Gosmore.
Add route option controls (fastest or shortest route) available in Gosmore.
Add permalink to allow route queries to be saved or exchanged.
Zoom and pan automatically to show whole route on map.
Add cycle map as baselayer to choose from.
Interface with the altitude profile service from Sjors Provoost.
Accurately calculate route length (current length is an 'estimate').
Add link from the current mapview to the online 'Potlatch' map editor for quick bugfixing.
Interface with Gosmore to find routes using (geo)JSON, for 3rd party applications.
Add 'route via' possibilities.
- Export as
GPX., WPT and KML file.
Allow changes to existing route (i.e. move to/from/via markers) a la Google. (Not as fancy as the Google one...)
- Show driving directions.
- Support for multiple languages.
- Support for other routing engines (e.g. Pyroute or OpenRouteService).
- Interface with the RemoteControl plugin for the JOSM editor for easy data-bug fixing.
- Add Munin plugin to keep track of the number of requests, route calculation times, etc.
Add caching of route calculation results.
- Add a cycle nodenetwork routing option.
- Add context menu's to right mouse clicks (add marker etc.).
- Cafe/bar/pub finding mode (on click on the map gives pubs in the area).
- Add nautic routing.
- Generate route information in a printer friendly way.
- Add a text only mode (for the visually impaired).
- Add routing description specifically for visually impaired users (distance in steps and such).
For more information, questions/feedback or want to lend a helping hand please visit the OpenStreetMap forum
or send me a message through the OSM messaging
function. If you do not have an OpenStreetMap account email me directly: osm at na1400 dot info.